After telling fans to expect Rockstar Games announce “exciting future projects” soon, Take-Two Interactive has now confirmed when these games might be released–and it’s not for a while.
Speaking during Take-Two’s earnings call, CEO Strauss Zelnick said Rockstar will not release a new game in the current fiscal year, which runs April 1, 2016 through March 31, 2017. That means the earliest a new Rockstar title might be released is April 2017, though of course the games may be announced sooner.
Earlier in the call, CFO Lanie Goldstein mentioned that Take-Two is expecting a 75/25 revenue split between its 2K Games and Rockstar Games labels for the current fiscal year, which suggested no Rockstar release.
Rockstar titles, including Grand Theft Auto V, will continue to make money for Take-Two even without new releases, however. GTA Online microtransactions are big business, while back catalog sales will also kick in more revenue.
As for what Take-Two might mean by “soon” for the announcement of Rockstar’s new games, Zelnick recently teased that the company had big plans for E3 2016. It is possible one of the new games is a sequel to Red Dead Redemption, a franchise that Take-Two has labeled “permanent.”
In April this year, what was believed to be the map for Red Dead Redemption 2 leaked, suggesting the game was possibly a prequel to the 2010 original.
Take-Two president Karl Slatoff mentioned during the earnings call that the company is also working on new IP to further diversity its portfolio, though it is not known if one of Rockstar’s new games is a new IP.
For more on Take-Two’s latest earnings briefing, check out the stories below.
- GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption Developer Will Announce New Games “Soon”
- GTA 5 Has Now Shipped 65 Million Copies
- Here Is What Rockstar’s Parent Company Thinks About PS4/Xbox One Hardware Upgrades
- Too Soon to Say if Battleborn Will Be a Borderlands-Like Hit, Take-Two Says
- GTA Remasters Will Only Happen if They “Look Great Creatively,” Exec Says