Hello everyone and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back at the last week. Goodness, I hope first impressions are not everything, because already I am starting to have my doubts about 2021. As many of you already are aware, Ben has announced Friday January 22nd will be his last week working at Giant Bomb. Below, you will find a link to an appreciation thread where you can thank Ben for all he has done on the site and the many memories he has provided. However, as is the case whenever a staff member leaves the site, please keep all of your comments civil and respectful. This is not the time to share your disagreements or grievances with Ben nor is it a time for rampant speculation. This includes commenting who you would like to see be hired in Ben’s position. With all of that in mind, let’s jump into the site related housekeeping.
- Here’s the Ben Pack Appreciation Thread. As mentioned in the introduction, please head the warnings and requests by the moderation team. Any comments caught speculating or spreading rumors will not be tolerated.
- Community Voting for the Giant Bomb Community GOTY is open until January 25th! If you submitted your vote early and want to change your vote you still can until January 25th!
- Mr. Rorie got married! You can join the rest of the community in congratulating him for taking this next step in his life!
- Speaking of Mr. Rorie, they published a blog on the site wherein they shared all of the TV shows they watched in 2020 and detailed the programs they liked and disliked in great detail! Give it a read if you are in need of some streaming suggestions.
- The VinnyVania shirts have finally started shipping you should receive your shirt in the next two weeks. Also, Giant Bomb is looking at possibly restocking the VinnyVania t-shirts due to high demand.
- The Giant Bomb tracksuits arrived in the warehouse on Tuesday of last week. They should be shipping soon and if your order does not arrive in two weeks, please contact Social Imprints on Twitter.
Author’s Note: After a long delay, I finally got around to reviewing and compiling some, but obviously not all of the user-created lists on the site. If I missed your list or blog, PLEASE drop a link to it using the comments section and I will happily showcase it next time! That said, the next edition will likely be the last time the Spotlight has a dedicated section for user-made GOTY content.
User-Created GOTY Lists
- GOTY 2020 (By: @dochaus)
- audioBusting’s 10 GotY 2020 List (+10 Personal Resolutions For 2021) (By: @audiobusting)
- Games of the Year: 2020 (By: @takashichea)
- 2020 GOTY (By: @bigsteve33)
- The Best Games I Played in 2020 (By: @barthvader25)
- Yours Truly’s 2020 Game of the Year Awards (By: @genessee)
- GOTY 2020 (By: @infinitespark)
- GOTY 2020 (By: @krataur)
- Top Eight of Twenty Twenty (By: @extintor)
- Game of the Year 2020 (By: @bobafettjm)
- Rio’s Game Of The Year List Version 1.0 (By: @riostarwind)
BladeOfCreation reviews every game they played in 2020, both new and old, and discusses what they liked and disliked from the year! Definitely give it a read if you need some game recommendations.
ArbitraryWater uses their latest blog on Giant Bomb to talk about their favorite 2020 gaming experiences involving games that did not come out in 2020! Give it a read and be amazed at all of the video game fun they got up to last year!
As the title suggest, 2020 was a “hell year” for BrotherBran as it was for the rest of us. Luckily, the video games they played last year were a heck of a lot of fun and you can read all about what they think are the best games from the year by using the link above!
MajorMitch already published a GOTY list on the site, so for this week they went ahead and reviewed the games that missed their top ten list! Read all of the games that did not survive the cutting room floor!
Like many other users on the site, jordha used games to get through the year that was 2020, one day at a time. Click the link above to learn all about the games they think were the best.
Pezen played a lot of games in 2020 and not all of them were good and many of them were not released in 2020. Give this blog a read to discover the games they most enjoyed playing last year.
Author’s Note: There’s a fun Giant Bomb “cameo” in the first Tweet. If you watch the entire video, you’ll find it when you least expect it!
While the two fast-food chains look similar on the surface, there are definitely some differences pic.twitter.com/kyG0tFBYQu
— Food Insider (@InsiderFood) January 13, 2021
Got your biopic right here pic.twitter.com/llA62wZDb6
— Brook Pridemore (@Brookpridemore) January 15, 2021
— GB Duders Feed (@GBDudersFeed) January 12, 2021
Here’s what the community thinks: pic.twitter.com/I3EU6MG99p
— Brad Lynch (@MarinoV1) January 15, 2021
Thank you for the years and years of entertainment @PackBenPack. Loved your energy and the perspective you brought to all the things you touched on the site. Best wishes on all your future ventures! <> pic.twitter.com/8y0GOxCAbn
— Steve Kim (@Fobwashed) January 12, 2021
@PackBenPack in a random “Breaking Brad” you once said goomba’s just look like they’re constantly saying “it’s a living”. My wife and I reference that all the time. So thank you for that and everything else you’ve done at Giantbomb. pic.twitter.com/f0ghyelAUJ
— Booster Tutor (@Booster_Tutor) January 12, 2021
Many thanks to VinnCo Archive on YouTube for another GREAT blast from the past this week! Here’s a clip from 2008 where Jeff earnestly attempts to explain WWE’s “brand split” and the state of wrestling booking during that time.
Zephyer has been playing around with ArtBreeder and decided to take jea_rum’s Junji Ito drawing of Alex and ran it through the program. This was the result!
SORRY/NOT SORRY FOR THE NIGHTMARES
Sometimes sequels are better than the original, but I don’t know about this case! Here, user LilNatureBoyX ran Zephyer’s Alex image through the “Toonme!” application!
Over on Twitter, Steve Chavez decided to palette swap the colors on the Giant Bomb logo like it was a Mortal Kombat character!
First, Mento continues their retrospective on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis! This week they look at the games that released on the platform in December 1992! To be expected, there are some heavy-hitters! Second, for this week’s edition of Mento’s “Indie Game of the Week,” they checked out Operencia: The Stolen Sun! Give their write-up a read to see if it is right up your alley!
Nodima wanted to play a cyberpunk game so they ended up playing Detroit: Become Human. Read all about their long descent into exploring David Cage’s sci-fi “epic.”
I had never heard of the game “99Vidas” until I gave imunbeatable80’s blog about the game a read! Check it out and see if they recommend you check the game out on your own time!
Calling all Hitman fans! What do you make of the news that PC users will need to pay a fee to transfer their Hitman 1 and 2 levels to Hitman 3 on Epic? Do you think there are bigger implications?
What controllers are you using on the PC these days? Are you rocking an Xbox or PlayStation controller? Maybe a third party option? Are you a proud TEAM WASD FOR LIFE member? Join the community discussion by sharing your pick?
Hey everyone, how is the next generation console stock where you live? Are you having an easier or harder time getting a next gen console? Join the community conversation using the link above!
In honor of their recent passing, there is a Giant Bomb tribute thread to Tetris champion Jonas Neubauer. Join the community in sharing your memories of the gaming legend and mourning their tragic passing.
Are any of you playing or have played Twin Mirror from DONTNOD Entertainment? If you have, or are just interested to learn more about it, here’s the official community discussion thread for the game!
Here’s an interesting discussion thread for all of you Destiny 2 players out there! What is the etiquette for doing a raid through the guided games feature? What do you do to use the feature effectively without seemingly like a dick?
- @retrogimp decided to play the original Rayman on the PlayStation One for the first time. Read why they were not impressed by the game’s brutal difficulty.
It warms my heart to inform the site, especially Alex and Jeff, that MDickie’s latest wrestling video game “creation” has been added to the Giant Bomb wiki. I look forward to the eventual quick look.
Source: Giant Bomb