The publisher has also released a new trailer for the game, which shows off some of the characters; there are a total of 50 fighters in the roster. Also showcased are various special attacks, the new story mode, and mission mode, among other things. Watch it below.
The trailer also reveals a day one steelbook edition will be available, which includes a classic costume for Kyo.
SNK previously updated the game’s official website and highlighted some key features:
- A Brand New KOF Saga: The KOF Series’ storyline has been continuing over the Orochi, Nests, and Ash story arcs. KOF’s rich story has not finished, and returns in a brand new exciting arc with KOF XIV
- KOF’s traditional game system is back!: Select your favorite 3 fighters from the game’s gorgeous character roster, and fight to victory via KOF’s traditional and most praised 3-on-3 team battle game system
- Ultimate combos!: The combination system has evolved in KOF XIV, allowing players to strike up to three Super Special Moves in the same combination for astonishing damage
- A refined MAX MODE!: KOF Series’ emblematic Max Mode returns in KOF XIV with significant improvements! Activating the Max Mode gives access to EX Special Moves for unlimited combo and damage possibilities
- A new feature that can be enjoyed even by newbies: The newly introduced Rush feature allows even novice players to perform combos by mashing the square button
- A plethora of game modes: KOF XIV features a large variety of game modes such as Story Mode, Vs Mode, and a Gallery Mode for the best KOF experience ever.
- A new fighting game experience: Duke it out with as many as six people (three players on each team) in VS Online Party Battle. Feel the heat of an authentic fighting game tournament experience via PSN.
- Learn techniques from the best players!: Low experienced players can learn how to become stronger with master players via the Online Training feature. Both players can communicate with each other with the common goal of strengthening the disciple
- Various communication possibilities!: KOF XIV will make full of PlayStation 4’s online functions such as the Online Profile and Comment features in order to foster player communication and communities
KOF 14 was first announced during the PlayStation press conference at Tokyo Game Show 2015. Although brawls take place on a 2D plane from a side-on perspective, the game is being built with 3D assets.
“This brand new KOF numbered series title features high-quality 3D visuals, however [it is] staying true to the gameplay roots of the series,” SNK said at the time.